Born Again?

Monday, August 3, 2009


FYI, this is going to be more of a serious post...

The boy and I went to church today for the first time in a long time (we're talking years). We kept saying we would go to church, but we kept talking about it instead of actually doing it. Well, today was finally the day that we actually went, and it was amazing.

Let me first start by explaining my religious experiences growing up. As a girl, my parents would "force" me to go to church every Sunday against my will, and I hated going. I felt like it was a chore and not what I wanted to do. I didn't really take going to church seriously and just saw it as a place to hang out with friends.

But just recently, I realized I was missing something in my life. It didn't feel complete and like something was missing. I didn't feel completely fulfilled, and I realized that it was because I did not have a relationship with God, and I really needed to have one. The boy has a closer relationship to God than I do, but neither of us are anywhere near where we want to be. And we feel like if we have that spiritual connection it will bring us even closer to each other too.


Even after going to church just one time already made me feel more fulfilled, and as crazy as it may seem, I could really feel God's love and could feel his presence while I was there. It felt so REAL! The sermon was inspiring, and I was just touched by everything. I think it was different this time because I wanted to go to church on my own terms and really seek God and start a relationship with him.

The boy and I agreed that we would continue to go to church every Sunday and maintain a relationship with God together. I'm excited for this journey ahead, and I can't wait to grow closer to him...



Thanks for reading my rambling ;)

46 comments: to “ Born Again?

  • Elizabeth Marie
    August 3, 2009 at 2:29 AM  

    That's awesome!! It's so great that you can share it with your fiance! I know it's been awhile since I've been to church, my dad was a pastor while I was growing up so I think it's messed with me a little, and I definitely understand the feeling forced thing. I'm glad you've made this decision on your own terms! XOXO!

  • debra@dustjacket
    August 3, 2009 at 3:27 AM  

    I am so happy for you! That is such a great positive and happy post. Love your choice of pic's too honey.

    xxx

  • William Street Store
    August 3, 2009 at 3:57 AM  

    I am so happy that you loved your church experience and it is something special you get to share with your fiance.

    I just want to say thank you very much for your little comment of love on my last post, your support really helped me a lot xxx

  • LenoreNeverM♡re
    August 3, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

    Amen sister!!!
    I'm so happy for you both...gave me very nice goosebums! Seeking God daily is very important to me too...it's not so much of religion but personal relationship with God. Continue to receive this Amazing Grace! BIG XO*

  • Anonymous
    August 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

    Please shoot my mother. I hate her. I hate her so much, it consumes me,

  • Kasey
    August 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

    what a beautiful post.
    xo

  • Lindsay
    August 3, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

    Yay! I'm so happy you feel this way. And it's really, really awesome that your fiance is supportive. I know how you feel... I hadn't gone to church in a long time and the one time I went a few months back I just felt different. I felt so "light" when I left like some weight had been lifted. But my fiance isn't so into going just yet... he wasn't raised in church but he does believe. He's just in this weird spot right now where he thinks he doesn't want to go just yet because it's not "time". Please pray for that to change! :)

  • Kassie
    August 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

    That's such a beautiful post. I'm so happy for you!! Blessings for your journey. :)

  • josie(bean)
    August 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

    i love this post because i can totally relate to it. i was and still am always forced to go to church by my pestering mom (still love her though, haha) but it's only when i go on my own that i can really appreciate it. i grew up very religious, but upon entering high school lost my relationship with God..but i think it's a good thing to question your faith, because only then will it strengthen the bond :)

  • Kristen
    August 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

    So happy for you both! I too was "forced" to go to church, but for whatever reason (the grace of God I guess), I seemed to connect and really enjoy it even from a young age. It's been easy to sleep in on Sundays and skip church now that my life is so crazy busy with school, but there is a little something missing because of it. And when I do make it back to church, it's an overwhelming feeling. Like I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be- in a place where you are completely loved and accepted. Just awesome.

  • Brunch at Saks
    August 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

    Love this post! So happy that you were able to go back when you ready and when you felt it was time! :) XOXO

  • Slices of Beauty...
    August 3, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

    Not rambling at all.
    Guess what matters is that you feel better and want to grow together with the fiance ~ lovely!

  • honey my heart
    August 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

    awesome :) very happy for you.

  • Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion
    August 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

    the first pic is soooooooo wonderful!

  • Annie
    August 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

    i'm glad you two went and enjoyed the experience. my fiance and i have talked about going numerous times, neither of us have gone in years either. he always works sundays so i think that's what is holding us back.

  • Simply Mel {Reverie}
    August 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

    As long as your heart and soul is happy...this is all that matters!

  • Sierra
    August 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

    Hi love, let me just say that I am so excited for you and glad that you are feeling God's love and it is here to stay. It is great when you are able to decide that for your self and follow God in your life...I am a Christian and I wouldn't change it for the world. I am very very happy for you! XO

  • Shop N' Chomp
    August 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

    It's so important to be spiritually fulfilled. Great post, girl. :)

  • Ali
    August 3, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

    Love it. Good for you guys!

  • Julia
    August 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

    Yay! I am so glad that you had a great experience at church! Being a Christian helps in every area of your life, and I feel that I am a more positive and easygoing person because of my relationship and trust in God!

    I had the same experience growing up, being forced to go to church every Sunday and hating it because I was never allowed to go to sleepovers on Saturday nights. When I went away to college I didn't go at all, and realized that something was missing from my life. Now my faith is a priority in my life, and I've never been happier with who I am.

    I will keep you and your fiance in my prayers! I hope you continue to feel God's prescence at church and outside as well!

  • Cafe Fashionista
    August 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

    I'm so happy to hear that you're taking this step together! What a fabulous revelation! :)

  • sherry berry
    August 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

    AMEN THANKS FOR SHARING THIS BEAUTIFUL POST! :) I THINK THIS WILL BE YOUR KEY FOR YOUR LONG TERM HAPPINESS.

  • rachaelgking
    August 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

    Good for you, hon. It's so nice that you'll be able to embark on that journey together :-)

  • BonBon Rose Girls Kristin
    August 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

    I think that is so lovely. Especially since you've committed to it together!

  • Carolina Belle
    August 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

    This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your experience in your blog. I try to go a little further in my walk with God every day and I feel so much more fulfilled in life.

  • Dionne
    August 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

    That's awesome! I am so happy for you! Brian and I got closer to God when we were engaged too - it's so good to grow with God together as a couple.

  • Nikolett
    August 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

    This is such an honest post :) I'm glad you and your fiance are open with each other and wanting to help each other not just in the relationship with each other, but with God too *hugs*

  • lindah
    August 3, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

    I haven't gone to church in years, but I don't think I'm ready to really put religion into my life and abide by it yet. I'm still young so I don't think I'm ready to settle down and I work all the time anyway. I'll probably become more religious as I get older and grow more wiser :)

  • Dream Sequins
    August 3, 2009 at 11:55 PM  

    Hey- it's nice that you guys are on the same page about religion. My husband and I still don't agree about denominations. So it's a fight - or should I say-- conversation about religion in progress...

  • Sierra
    August 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

    Hi love, it is me again. I wanted to thank you again for the necklace giveaway, just posted some pictures on my blog to say thanks! Hope you are having a great week. ;)

  • Allison
    August 4, 2009 at 1:39 AM  

    I really enjoyed this post immensely. I too was forced into going to church/Sunday school from the time I was a fetus...Unfortunately the kids my age at the church were AWFUL to me, so it turned me off from any church completely. Luckily, my boyfriend has a fabulous church he goes to where I felt instantly accepted, and like you, I've felt an immediate change and kind of a happiness inside of me I didn't know I was missing. I'll keep praying that things go well for you, dear! I think this post was very brave, and extremely honest. I really think it's wonderful that you and your fiance are encouraging each other in this! :)

  • Christina Lee
    August 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

    good for you! It's nice to be on the same page about those important things too!
    Hey how are you enjoying the book you're reading? I am having a hard time getting into it!

  • In This Wonderful Life
    August 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

    how exciting! I'm happy for you guys :) I've really been wanting to find a church that my husband and I both like!

  • Couture Carrie
    August 4, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

    That's lovely, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

  • bananas.
    August 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

    that's awesome lady! what a fulfiling experience for the both of you. i myself have not gone to church for a very long time. like you, i felt it was a chore and that shouldn't be the reason why we go to church. but i have kept my faith and my relationship with god although i don't necessarily consider myself religous.

  • Ela
    August 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

    That's wonderful, Lily! S and I go to Church & Sunday school and we started just before we were married. I know the Lord has blessed our marriage and I too appreciate the closeness I feel to my Heavenly Father and am thankful that I am even aware of His presence, for a long time I think I took for granted all that He does for me each day and failed to recognize the small(but great to me) miracles He allowed to happen in my life. Wishing you a wonderful journey ahead, Lily!

  • brooke
    August 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

    i am in love with this post...i have had in my tabs since yesterday but didn't want to quickly read it and then give some basic comment...i had to wait until i had the time to really read it...and i have to say lady i am SO SO excited for you!!! i know this is what my life is based on and centered around and without Him i would be nothing have nothing and would be lost! so YEY i cannot wait to hopefully read more on your journey ahead...amazing!!!

  • www.janetteria.com
    August 4, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

    How exciing! :-)

    XoXo

  • Angela
    August 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

    It is important to share. good for you!

  • Winnie
    August 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

    I am glad that you found something so special!

  • B
    August 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

    that's great. thx for sharing

  • DS
    August 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

    I can totally relate to being "forced" to go to church when I was younger. I guess "forced" isn't exactly the right word but at that age you are really too young to protest anyway. I have not been back to church since I was young but I have always been curious about trying to find spirituality on my own terms now that I'm older. Good for you for giving it another shot!

  • Midtown Girl
    August 4, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

    If it wasn't for church I do not know where I would be right now..especially after my mom got sick.

    I usually go during the week when it is less crowded...plus I know it sounds crazy, but going on a Sunday by myself in the city is just not comfortable for me..but its ok, as long as I am going for the right reasons, not bc I have to!!

    Excellent post! XOXO

  • Sara
    August 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

    what a great post! enjoy the ride of discovering God

  • Anonymous
    August 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

    i'm glad you had a great experience at church! :)

  • This chick's got style
    August 5, 2009 at 7:11 AM  

    That's nice :)
    And thanks for your sweet comment!

    x!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin