To Move Or Not To Move...

Thursday, July 23, 2009

So right now my fiance and I are living in the Midwest, but we're thinking of maybe moving to California after we get married. We've both grown up in the Chicago area all of our lives, but we're kind of wanting a change. Plus, comparing Chicago weather and California weather is no contest! Chicago summers are great, but Chicago winters are BRUTAL and LONG!!! I'm itching to get out of Chicago and experience someplace new and different.

This is the beautiful skyline we would be giving up....


But we could be getting this instead....


It's such a hard decision because our family and friends live here, and we would basically have to start our lives in a whole different state all on our own. It's not a decision we would really make any time soon though, but within the next few years. Sigh, decisions, decisions.....

57 comments: to “ To Move Or Not To Move...

  • Christina Lee
    July 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

    well that's a tough one and one we struggled with at the beginning too (being from the mid-wes too)-then we had a kid and we realized we needed to be by family and not only that, he loves experiencing all of the seasons. so I say do it b/f you have kids....:)

  • brooke
    July 23, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

    i am not completely sure where i want us to end up either...right now we have no control over where we live...but there are so many places on the "i would love to live..." list...and i love changing things up...so i say give it at shot at least for a year or so...then you could never say, "well what if we would have..."

  • Ela
    July 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

    Oh, Lily that's a tough one! You could always try it out for a little while. Though I know sometimes when we do things *temporarily* we don't always give it a 100% so it may not be reflective of how you really would've lived if you knew it was permanent. Yikes, good thing you have a few years to think it over...lots can happen between now and them...kiddies? :)

  • Carol {Everyday Delights}
    July 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

    That is hard... I don't think I could ever do a permenant move away from Seattle, but I would if I knew there was an end date for when I could move back. Like maybe spend 2 years somewhere else and then come back to Seattle. If would be a fun adventure though!!

  • bananas.
    July 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

    major change in never easy but experiencing the most in life requires taking chances and never regretting the things you didn't do. i say move to cali! live it up and if you hate it here then at least you tried it out for a while.

  • Dionne
    July 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

    I love California. I lived there for 7 years and it's an awesome place to live. BUT, if I were you, I would wait for California to get it's act together financially. The job market there right now isn't the best, and for my CA state tax return, I got an IOU. Yes! They sent me an I Owe You. They don't even have the money to pay us back our tax refunds!!!

  • Unknown
    July 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

    well...the best time to do it would be now that you are younger and don't have any kidlets yet...you can test it out and see if you like it and if you can be away from your families. I will admit that we toy with the idea of moving somewhere outside of NY all the time...esp when we first got married...but we are really happy here and I for one need to be close to my parents and my sister...but...CA does sound so fabulous and change is good for you...

  • Simply Mel {Reverie}
    July 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

    Chicago is fantastic, but I LOVE California! We both moved here on our own with no family (all still in Southeast), and we haven't looked back yet!

    Follow your heart and you will know what's right.

  • leticia@galsintheknow.blogspot.com/
    July 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

    I live in Chicago, was born and raised here. I would love to leave and will probably do so in the next few years. Heres what you do, move to california and put a post card of the Chicago Skyline on your fridge or somewhere you can visit it frequently;-) Chicago winter sucks! and out summer has not been great thus far. Good luck in whatever you decide.

  • Julia
    July 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

    Oh gosh!! This is a dilemma :( I am a Chicagoan too, and I did leave and somehow ended up back here!! I missed things I never thought I would. I first moved to Maryland for college, and then lived in North Carolina for 2 years! I loved it, but hated feeling like an outsider. I guess I have quite the Chicago accent, and I missed hearing people that talked like me, and I got really tired of people asking where I was from when they heard me speak!! I missed our food (portillos, giordanos, italian beef) and I even began to miss the landscape, and I used to hate how flat it is here! I missed being able to go to the beach whenever and also be so close to awesome shopping.

    That being said, I understand the need to get out of here. If you have lived here your entire life, there is a fear that you'll never get out and experience life elsewhere! You can't know if somewhere else is better until you've lived there. I still miss NC now, and when I visit, I stock up on things that I can't buy here! I have a whole cabinet full of Cheerwine (pop) :)

  • Sierra
    July 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

    Ohhh, you should so move to Cali! That is where I am and you would so love it here! It is sunny all of the time and you get the beach, you can't beat that! :) But...it is a faster pace of life than Chicago and other states, I am sure. That is hard to get used to, but you can get away to places that are less populated. Whatever you decide you can always move down the road again...decide what makes sense for the both of you and their are always places to visit the fam, that is what I do! Good luck!

  • honey my heart
    July 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

    i live in california and love it, especially the beach aspect. if you can move here, go for it! but it is just so hard to leave family. good luck with your decision.

  • Dream Sequins
    July 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

    I'm constantly dealing with this dilemma. New York is a wonderful town, but my heart will always belong in Cali. Of course, our housing costs would be like 80% less expensive anywhere else. Pretty much :( Either way, it'll be a fresh start. Must be exciting getting married and starting your lives together!

  • Brown Girl
    July 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

    I absolutely without a doubt could not survive Chicago winters, if you don't like Cali you could always move back, right?

  • Jennnyy.
    July 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

    california SUMMERS are brutal! =X

    BUT i wouldn't live anywhere else other than southern california :) i've lived here all my life and i've been to texas and whatnot and definitely nothing compares to good ol' sunny southern cali! :D our financial "crisis" right now isn't that great actually, so maybe YES on the move, but just not right NOW? =/

  • Karen
    July 23, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

    I live in SF, one of the colder cities of Cali but I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. The weather here is more friendly and there are also many beautiful cities if you prefer the metropolitan scene. But.. moving is such a big decision that I would be unsure myself. Maybe I would move if I knew I would live in a beautiful community with good weather, my family, and a stable job. Best of luck to your decision making :)

  • Brunch at Saks
    July 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

    Ok, I am a bit biased here, but being born and raised in Northern California, and now living in Los Angeles for 6 years, I have to put my vote in for the big move! My family is originally from Chicago and moved here in the 60s and have not looked back since! You will love the weather (even if it does get hot in the summers) and can always go back to Chicago to visit! I will keep you in my thoughts! :) XOXO

  • Ali
    July 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

    I fully support this move, selfishly because I am here! Come play.

  • AsianCajuns
    July 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

    Moving somewhere new is so exciting. I've always been an east coast girl myself (although I love Seattle). I can't imagine living in California, but I don't blame all the people that do. It's a beautiful place.

  • Mo
    July 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

    I say try it out while you're still without children! It's going to be much easier to move if it's just the two of you.
    I love California--my entire family lives here though, and the one year that I didn't live in California, it was very hard for me, so that's definitely something to consider.
    Update us on your decision!

  • Children of the 90s
    July 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

    Moving is definitely tough. I was dead set on moving to chicago after graduation and ended up moving to Dallas, which was a real shock. I agree though that even though it's scary, it's exciting too. This is the time in your life when you can take a chance! Go for it :)

  • phi-style
    July 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

    I would totally move back to CA...although it would be the Bay Area so no palm trees haha. I only lived there for 3 years, but I loved it. I miss it all the time. However, both me and my fiance's families live in Houston, so I don't think we'll be going anywhere.

    We did play with the idea of moving just for a couple years and then moving back to TX when it was time to pop out some babies....but the prospect of finding a job over there and living at the same standard of living we do now (house so cheap in TX!) seemed pretty out of reach, especially given the economic status over there. Hello 9.25% sales tax and they STILL can't get out of debt?

    That said, if I could, I would. =)

  • Iva Messy
    July 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

    move to Cali move to Cali move to Cali!!! DO IT :)

  • Shop N' Chomp
    July 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

    Hi hun, you're still young so go for it. Don't do it without securing a job and place to live first though. It'll make your life easier.

  • Gracie
    July 23, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

    That's a hard decision. It's always hard to pack up and move away from family. But I'm sure you will go through it and figure out what is the best decision. And being young is even better!
    I think I would like California mainly because it's so similar in weather to Queensland here in Aus =)

  • drollgirl
    July 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

    chicago is a beautiful city! i have only been there once in the spring, and it was gorgeous!

    i live in los angeles and could tell you a million pros and cons about living in california. but it would be a list of things that you have already heard or thought of on your own.

    this is a tough call. eke! whichever road you take, i wish you the best!!!

  • Couture Carrie
    July 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

    Wow, darling ~ a tough decision, but a fun one! My East Coast friends who have moved to Cali either love it and make a life out there, or feel homesick and move back after a few years. So if you go, just know it doesn't have to be FOREVER! You will have an amazing journey either way!

    xoxox,
    CC

  • Vintage Romance Style
    July 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

    I live in cali and LOVE it! But that skyline is to die for!

  • lindah
    July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

    thats a tough one! I think I would stay in chicago though :)

  • LenoreNeverM♡re
    July 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

    Not an easy decision...But CA sounds like a dream for both of you, just think of it as it's not across the globe... I always believe change is always a good thing! ~XO

  • In This Wonderful Life
    July 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

    GOSH! Both look so beautiful! This is going to be a toughy girl!

  • Angela
    July 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

    I love CA..... : )

  • Morgan
    July 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

    I can tell you from experience (from WI... living in S. Carolina) it's worth it! Experience a new part of the country... you can always go back to Chicago.

  • BonBon Rose Girls Kristin
    July 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

    I'm no help. I would LOVE to live in Chicago. I'm pretty sick of the year round warm weather. The hubs, however, is from MN and you couldn't pay him to go back to those winters. I used to live in DC and thought it was the perfect compromise. You get to experience the seasons but the winter isn't brutal.

  • Maureen Stevens
    July 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

    gosh, i didn't know u lived in Chicago, I was just there a few days ago! Tahnks btw for the sweet comment at Two Ellie!

  • Elizabeth Marie
    July 23, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

    I LOVE Chicago...but I LOVE living in Southern Cali too...come hang out with us Cali girls! :)

  • debra@dustjacket
    July 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

    Oh yeah huge move, but hey your only young once. Go experience it.

    xxx

  • Anonymous
    July 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

    what about trying it for a while? Do a one year lease and see? It'd always be worth it and if you don't like it you could move back! I mean the whole job thing could be an issue, haha, but before you have kids :)

  • BLC :o
    July 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

    Tough tough tough! I love 'em both. In fact, I'll be in Chi-town come August. Good luck with the to-move-or-not-to-move decision! Xoxo-BLC

  • TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking
    July 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

    California... amazing... but so stinking expensive!!! :) Follow your heart... you will end up where you are meant to be!

  • The Sydney Girl
    July 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

    california looks beautiful! i love the beach!!!

    x

  • kadler
    July 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM  

    Hm... I'm actually thinking of moving to Chicago (in the semi-near future). What's it like? If I hate the cold, am I going to die?

  • kadler
    July 24, 2009 at 3:08 AM  

    P.S. I added you to my blog links.

  • Fashion Moment
    July 24, 2009 at 4:18 AM  

    I love these photos! My aunt is in Chicago. :)

    FM~FP~AF

  • Unknown
    July 24, 2009 at 4:40 AM  

    I'd kill to move to california, that's why I'm planning to move to south of italy for a nice weather all year..go!!

  • Arushi Khosla
    July 24, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

    I think California sounds like a nice idea. I've been to both Chicago and California. While NYC is and will forever be my dream destination, I do like Cali.
    I'm in India so I the hot weather was a piece of cake. But at the end of it all, it's your decision. You should probably talk to your friends and fam about it too.

  • A Flair for Vintage Decor
    July 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM  

    Oh, that is so tough! But I will have to say that I have grown the most by going to a new place and trying that out and I have never regretted that! Good luck! Take care, Caroline

  • paula
    July 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM  

    what a fun decision to be able to make!

  • Syed
    July 24, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

    I have never been the US, so I have a rather rosey view of California. But if you both feel the need for change, what could be better than starting afresh after your wedding. Newly weds in a new town, really could be the start of something wonderful :) And I'm sure your friends and family will support you both, wherever you want to move. If you really want it - go for it :)

  • www.janetteria.com
    July 24, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

    California is fantastic...

    XoXo

  • Anonymous
    July 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

    I am ALL for moving! Keeps it exciting...especially if it is somewhere new and fun.

  • Lily
    July 24, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

    I think you should go. You don't have to live there forever. It's always fun to live somewhere new. If you get sick of it after 2 years you can move back to Chicago.

  • Haven and Home
    July 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

    Since I am not a winter person I dream of California in the cold months. Moving is such a hard decision, we go through that every few months too...

  • Madeleine
    July 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

    I left LA for London and i have not been happy since i moved here. I don't like the weather, it is similar to Chicago (actually Chicago has summers, something London do not have), i still haven't found a job and haven't make any friends whatsoever. So yes i think it's a tough decision but if i have to choose i rather be in LA.

  • Jennie Bee
    July 28, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

    I was debating moving to LA 2 years ago. I went there on vacation and decided against it because it was just too dirty and the driving killed me there was no parking anywhere and it was just too congested.
    My Aunt lived in Santa Cruz for about 10 years and it was gorgeous there, I really loved the area. So I would recommend going on Vacation to the area that you'd be interested in and traveling around the coast. it may look nice in pictures but you might hate it when your there.

  • josie(bean)
    July 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

    move to cali! me and the boy have already planned to move to San Diego as soon as i graduate in 2010, we cant stand living in boston anymore...

  • Westside Wedding
    July 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

    I've lived in California all my life and love it, but I would want to live in NY at least for a year, I would miss my family but at the same time it would be exciting to at least live somewhere else for a little while. My fiancee is from the East Coast and has lived in L.A for the past 10 years, he also loves it here but does miss his family, luckily his sister lives in L.A too. If it's something you guys are thinking about, it's best to do it now when you don't have any kids.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin